2006-09-28

The geekness of epo



It all started with a girl – doesn't it always? This girl though, was not someone I dated, not someone I had ever met, not even a celebrity – this girl was someone who posted on the same message board as me, and whom I happened to have a huge board crush on.
    This girl seemed to think exactly the way I did; she liked the same things I liked, had the same political opinions as well as philosophical ideas as I did – she was basically me. But a far cooler version of me. Which made me jealous and annoyed, yet very intrigued.
    This was the girl who told me to become a geek. Well, she didn't actually tell me personally, but she was the hugest geek you could imagine, that much I knew – and that was enough for me.
    Now, this was almost two years ago. My online crush ceased to exist about a year and a half ago – and I honestly haven't thought much about this girl since, but I never forgot about the things she (in one way or another) encouraged me to do. Um. Such as become a geek.

So here I am – 2.5 years after I discovered BtVS, 2 years after I got myself an online life and 1.5 years after I got over my insane board crush – as proud a geek as you can possibly be! This is something me and my sister have been working hard with – becoming geeks. Like, getting into the world of comics for example. Now, I don't actually know if this girl like/liked comics. She was a huge video game freak, but since I can't play videogames (I get super dizzy and sick), I am trying the comic thing instead. It's not going too great, I haven't fully got it yet, to be honest – and it's too darn expensive. (I know you can download a lot of comics, but it's just not as much fun to read it on the screen of my iBook as to actually get to turn the pages of a comic.)
    I guess all this is the explanation why my friend Towe is right now sitting across the table from me, drawing the comic I am writing. I guess "that girl" and that silly crush is the reason I am now an occationally semi-creative geek. So, thank you? Thank you silly board-crush and thank you BtVS and thank you sister Joamna =)

4 comments:

lisa said...

It always starts with a girl, mhm :)

I love this story, and this text.

Thank you sister epo!

Mikey said...

Heh yeah it does ;)

Thanks hun :)

Mikusagi said...

Comics doesn't have to be expensive. There are several second hand-shops where you can buy comics for 1 SEK. Not great comics though...
and when it comes to manga, if you're reading the mainstream ones, just wait a while and the books will be at 20 SEK.
But for the not so popular comics, you have to pay more ._. That's why I never take the chance to try something totally different when it comes to comics xD
But the old, cheap stuff that no one wants can be amusing.

Mikey said...

I actually don't really read manga... I mainly read Joss Whedon and Brian K. Vaughan, cause well, I worship them.
Now that I'm getting into anime I'm considering manga though, but, hm, idk..