2006-07-21

Joan of Arcadia vs. Bring It On.. Or not..


There are a few things that will automatically make a TV show not worth watching for me. Not many, but a few things will disappoint me to the extent where I will just press stop and never press play again. Super crappy music can be one of these things, extremely lame dialogues is another. However, insulting or making fun of one of my favourite movies, is probably the fastest and most definite way to make sure I press the stop-button.
    I started watching Joan of Arcadia very recently. I liked the main character, she's a bit like a younger and way less geeky Mac (ok, look wise) – she's cute and all. The stories aren't fenomenally cool, and the family – even though less annoying – reminds me both of the one in My So-Called Life and the 7th Heaven one, but yeah, it seemed like a sweet enough show. However, the episode I just stopped, started off with God (in the shape of a homeless person) telling the main character, Joan, to try out for the school's cheerleading squad. Being a fan of cheerleaders in movies, this was a "yay fun"-thing in my head, but I should have seen the making-fun-of-cheerleading thing coming. They tend to do that in shows that try – but don't succeed too well – to be just a tiny bit alternative. And sure thing, not only did they make fun of cheerleading (hey I would have forgiven them) but they so mocked the awesomest movie ever – Bring It On! Ok, not awesomest ever, but definitely one of the better high school movies of the end of the '90s – I mean Eliza Dushku and Kirsten Dunst? Could it be any better? (Answer is yes, it could, but let's not go there.)
    Now, I will continue watching this show, of course I will, it does actually seem like a show worth watching. I'm not childish enough to give up that easy – I just need to calm down for a few minutes (yes I'm being silly). But I imagined my first Joan of Arcadia-rant to look a whole lot different than this one does. Mhm. The way to the TV-show space in my heart is just not by mocking awesomely hilarious and cute movies, uh uh...

:p

3 comments:

Kt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kt said...

meh dont diss bring it on :) nice blog you got youself here !

Mikey said...

Exactly :P
And thanks.

xx epo