2006-07-20

Strictly Ballroom and the love for Baz


I can't dance to save my life. Seriously, I'm pathetic on the dance floor, it's not even funny. I love to dance though, 'cause I'm silly and I don't care, but I never learnt how to do it for real, I'm way too impatient. However, to be an awesome dancer has been a secret dream of mine – when I was a kid and hadn't yet realised that this was one of those dreams that would just never come true – and I love movies where they dance a lot. I – like many other little girls – adored Dirty Dancing as well as Girls Just Want To Have Fun, Saturday Night Fever, Hair, Billy Elliot, etc. (yes I liked/like all kinds of dancing, mhm, I wanted to dance ballet for a while, *sigh*, good luck epo).
    Now, I have been a fan of Baz Luhrmann since I saw Romeo + Juliet (had a huge crush on Claire Danes when I was ten, well, ok, still kind of do), I also loved Moulin Rouge (I'm an even bigger fan of musicals than I am of dance movies) – and I always really wanted to see Strictly Ballroom.
    There, I finally said the title. Strictly Ballroom. I am ashamed to say I never managed to see this movie until today – actually until an hour ago. And, do I even have to mention that I love it? Well I did. Not as much as I love Moulin Rouge, but this movie is still completely awesome. This makes me want to be a good dancer, so badly, mhm.
    This is hardly one of the best movies ever made – neither is it the best movie about dancing – but it has got something that I can't really put my finger on. It is one of those movies I just really enjoy seeing, and I could probably rewatch it quite a few times without getting bored at all. I will never be a good dancer, it's a fact. But this is one of those movies that turn me into a ten year old girl who can't wait for her dream to come true. I know this sounds completely corny, but it gives me this longing in love feeling, that I just want to hold on to.
    I don't know how to wrap this up, but what can I say? Loving it, and loving Baz Luhrmann – he's a genius, for sure. Mhm.

2 comments:

green said...

Great movie Epo!

Loved the crazy mom and the quiet dad. The costumes were crazy.

~slo

Mikey said...

Have to say I thought the costumes were awesome, but I very much agree with what you said, mhm.

epo